The coniferous woods were planted around 1920 by order of the Count of Bernstorff. At that time, softwood timber was economically significant for use as shoring in mines. However, the trees grew poorly due to the hard, salty sea wind. The trees are now old, and they are slowly being displaced by deciduous trees, primarily birch. The Natural Reserves administrator occasionally gives nature a bit of a hand in this process. An increasing number of forest birds have settled in the woods. It is also an excellent area for mushrooms.